Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My War Against Dell



I used to be a big fan of Michael Dell and his reasonably priced computing machines. Lately, however, I have decided he is more my enemy than my friend. Let me explain...

First he creates these tantalizing computers with all sorts of neat little gadgets and packages that the average person can afford only for said computers to start malfunctioning prematurely. Maybe all computers do this, but it seems like most of the people I know that own Dell machines sure complain a lot more than those who own other brands.

My Dimension 4600 desktop is as old as they get. I think I bought it somewhere around 2004 or 2005 and while it has fought the good fight, its fan is starting to make noises that would spark jealousy from a 1966 Mustang. As I researched this issue through this neat thing called the internet, I discovered that Dell is notorious for having ungodly loud machines. I suppose I should consider myself lucky that my Ford Model T computer has stayed relatively modest in regards to noise thus far.

The other problem I have is how cheaply the parts are made for both the desktops and the laptops. You can't take them apart to dust them without something breaking. I am extremely careful and meticulous when it comes to caring for electronics but the shoddy workmanship of these things bested me. There is a loose piece on my wife's laptop that causes a large gap in the bottom right corner of where the screen and plastic meet. I have tried valiantly to fix it but discovered it was manufactured incorrectly.

In short, the next time you are thinking about getting a computer...DUDE, you are NOT getting a DELL!

0 comments:


Free Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Wedding Dresses. Powered by Blogger